Sunday, July 1, 2012

What's Cookin', Good Lookin'?

Over the last couple of months, I've been really trying hard to cook at least two meals per week (sadly, the cold cereal industry has taken a hit because of this decision). Getting this done has been a challenge for three reasons: 

1. I'm not crazy about cooking.

2. Big Tex has the pallet of a 4-year old child (I'm not exaggerating; he doesn't like yogurt, squash, avocado, or pudding because they have textures that are "gross.")...but I love him lots and lots!

3. Big Tex and I both work full-time an hour away from our house; we're out the door by 6:45 am and never get home before 6 pm, so preparing a big meal after work is just not happening. 

Therefore, I've relied a lot on my crock pot and/or meals that can be prepped and ready to just throw on the grill when we get home. They also have to be pretty small-child friendly so that my almost 40-year old husband will eat them.


Partly so that I don't lose track of the recipes, and partly to share their greatness for you, I'm posting a few of the best I've discovered so far. Some of them are so easy, they'll make you cry with joy. None of them are difficult because, well, I just don't usually do difficult when it comes to food. I'm kind of lazy.


Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
I added red bell peppers and served with rice. Yum!

Chicken Taco Filling
Use this easy-peasy homemade taco seasoning instead of store-bought


Taco Meat 
I made it with venison hamburger and it was the bomb


Guinness and Venison Stew
Too heavy for a hot Texas summer, but so nice for a cold winter's evening


Zesty Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken 
Serve on slider buns and you will die of the deliciousness


Bonus: Overnight Oats
This is not a dinner recipe, nor will Big Tex even try it (it has yogurt and pumpkin in it. The horror!), but it's kind of changed my life and I just had to share it. Don't let the weirdness of cold oatmeal or the way it looks prevent you from trying it. It's super grab-and-goable, and it's loaded with nutrition. The "add-ins" I use are packed with fiber and deliciousness:
  • 2 tablespoons Grapenuts
  • 2 packets of stevia
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling, just real pumpkin)
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as we have! Let me know what you think :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment