Thursday, February 2, 2012

Let the DIYing Begin! My Tool Wish List:

I'm beginning a journey, folks. That's right. A journey to a place where I am a DIY whiz kid who creates things that are cool and interesting. A journey along which I will actually make some of the things that I collect on my Pinterest boards, instead of spending hours upon hours adding to said Pinterest boards. I chose to embark on this wondrous odyssey by spending more time perusing the Internet and picking out the tools that I want need in order to get started. 

Let me know what you think, and especially let me know if you have experience with these tools or better versions!

*Note: The following choices were made based on the fact that Chris and I currently have a small collection of power tools that includes a circular saw, a drill, a Dremel, and an ancient non-functional sander.*

Sander
I really want a sander. Like, really really. I need one so I can get my creativity on and begin the long list of projects on my DIY to-do list. This one got good reviews and looks sturdy. It's kind of expensive relative to other sanders, but the cost isn't as prohibitive as that of the paint sprayer below. I know DeWalt is a respected brand and I figure it's important to have a good one, especially if Chris and I are gonna make this bad boy (Splinter butt? No thanks).

DeWalt D26453K Random Orbit Sander
~$62 www.amazon.com

Stud Finder
Our kitchen and great room/den/living room (whatever it's called these days) is covered in gorgeous pine panelling that I absolutely love. The only thing that's not simply amazing about this feature of our home is that it's nearly impossible to locate a stud under the panelling with our stupid, crappy stud finder. So I did some research and, apparently, the old-school magnetic stud finders are the way to go. And they're so cheap! I'm going to order this one right away because it's such a steal and it got great reviews. Look out kitchen wall; you're about to get your very own pot-hanger!


C.H. Hanson Magnetic Stud Finder
~$10 www.amazon.com


Paint Sprayer
This paint sprayer is pricey. In fact, I know I won't be buying it any time soon because it's so expensive. But I read tons of reviews for paint sprayers and it seems like they can really suck a lot if you try to go cheap. All of the models under $100 got terrible reviews and I want one that's going to work and make my projects look somewhat professional. 
Graco TrueCoat Paint Sprayer
~$200 www.lowes.com
Reciprocating Saw
Another tool that I think will come in so handy? A reciprocating saw. It just seems like a universally useful tool. Prices on these guys are all over the map, but this one got good reviews and is relatively affordable. 
SKIL 9-amp Variable Speed Reciprocating Saw
~$60 www.lowes.com





1 comment: