Friday, June 22, 2012

What's Cookin', Good Lookin'?

I swear, I'm still here! Projects are coming along slow as molasses in January, so I haven't had too much to report on. But I did make this delish meal the other night and wanted to share!

Venison French Dip in the Crock Pot
I got the inspiration and majority of this recipe from one of my favorite go-to websites, All-Recipes (check out the original recipe here). I'm really trying to minimize the amount of meat I buy in the grocery store, so I decided to alter the recipe to incorporate the venison meat that we have in our freezer. We currently only have back strap, steaks, and hamburger meat, so I chose to the use the steaks. 

Ingredients
2 pounds venison steak (thawed or fresh)
1 can beef broth
1 can Campbell's French Onion Soup (condensed)
12 ounces stout beer (like Guinness)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
A few shakes of salt and pepper
1 loaf of French bread
Sliced Provolone cheese

Directions
*Place steaks in crock pot, pouring broth, soup, beer, and Worcestershire sauce over them. 

*Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. 

*Set crock pot to cook on low for 7 hours.

*When the meat is done cooking, remove it from the au jus and slice it up, then put it back into the au jus.

*Meanwhile, cut up the bread (cut the loaf in half long ways, then cut up each half into sandwich-sized pieces).

*Place one slice of Provolone on half of the pieces of bread.

*Place in the broiler for 1-3 minutes, keeping a constant eye on the bread. I AM SO NOT KIDDING ABOUT THIS - I left mine in for 4 minutes and burnt it to death. 

*Make sandwich with the sliced meat between one cheeseless slice of bread and one cheesed slice. 

*Serve with a ramekin 0f au just for dipping (and Zapp's crawdad potato chips ;-))

Enjoy!

1 comment: